Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Finding that balance. . . haven't found it yet

Had some potatoes yesterday and awoke in the night a lot stiffer than usual.  Fingers are swollen and legs are tight this morning.  The usual feet situation (numb and hurting at the same time) but the wrist is still swollen.

Yesterday, I was feeling pretty good so I made the rounds to the local grocery stores for the double and triple coupon deals.  I got some great deals amounting to paying around $30 and saving some $50 more.  As meds increase, bargain shopping is becoming more important.  Anyway, I made these stops on my way home thinking if I could just get them done, I would have time to relax when I got home.  Well, this morning, I am having the worst time waking up.  I think I may have over done it.  I woke up in the night with really stiff legs but was able to go back to sleep. 

Finding that 'happy balance' of moving but not overexerting your self is very hard to find.  The only way I can figure it out, is to discover my limitations and that means to overexert myself at times.  There will be certain days that I will have to tire myself out weather I like it or not.  My jobs requires me to have two concerts per year and those two days totally mess me up.  A two hour rehearsal happens the day of the concert as well and my feet are so messed up by the end of the day that I have had to take the next day off  quite often.  There is no way around it right now, I have to do it if I want to keep my job and the location principal will not allow me to have rehearsals the day prior.  I haven't complained as I haven't fully told them the extent of my arthritis and am afraid it may lead to my dismissal and I am not ready for that yet. 

That elusive middle ground will continue to be my goal and only time will tell.  I am sure it will change and I will have to discover it all over again, but for now, I will continue my quest.  It is all a part of this disease and what we have to do to survive it.

No comments:

Post a Comment