Monday, February 6, 2012

I haven't written in a few days.  Last Thursday, I awoke to find my three middle toes of my right foot had swollen and seemingly disconnected from the main part of my foot.  The swelling happened in the joint that connects the toes to my foot thus leaving my toe joints out of place.  I had a lot of trouble walking on Thursday and even called in sick to work.  I made an appt. with my rheumy for Friday and he upped my meds.  Over all, the meds are working, swelling is down and joint count is down (15 painful joints as of Friday).  My elbow has full range of motion again and pain levels are down.  This morning my hands are a little stiff (3) and I am still feeling some discomfort in my toes but better than last week.  Food wise, I did have bar b que chicken pizza this weekend  and a handful of potato chips - however no adverse reactions except for some gas.

The good that came out of this is that my boss now knows a bit more about my situation.  He knows how unpredictable it is and I did tell him how much I have adjusted my teaching so that I can still be a productive member of the team.  He knows I cannot move around the room as in the past and that I am trying my best.  However, I know I am not as productive as I used to be.  We devised a back up plan in case I have another bad morning as I did last week.  I informed him that I am taking precautions, that I started an insurance policy specifically for this situation in case I have to take a leave of absence.   Hopefully I won't have to but this way I will be covered if I do.  It would also give me time to prepare for disability, if I need to in the future.  Right now, I am far away from that but when ever I have a surprise pain, it reminds me how quickly things can change with this disease. 

No comments:

Post a Comment